How to Eat Healthy in an Unhealthy Family
- Possible Pat
- April 24, 2018
Eating healthy is a lot easier when you are the only person in the household, but when you are living in a house full of other people who are not ready to make the change that you are, it can make it much harder to get to your goals.
I talk to people all the time that want to change their life and their eating habit and finally lose the weight, but they are surrounded by junk food and other people who are trying to feed them the food they should be avoiding.
I’ve talked to moms with a husband and three children who want to lose weight and be healthy for her family. I have talked to teenagers who are 400 pounds and want to lose weight but don’t have control over the food that is put in the house. Everyone has their own challenges, and everyone has their own situation when it comes to their home life. This can make it very difficult to eat healthy and lose weight.
How to Eat Healthy When Your Family is Unhealthy
In a perfect world, we would be able to shop for all the healthy foods and our families would just join us, but unfortunately, this isn’t always the case. Many people end up beginning their new journey alone, without their family following suit.
If you have power over the food that is brought into your house, it can make it easier to either cook food for yourself, aside from the rest of the family or begin transitioning your family into a healthier lifestyle by beginning to replace unhealthy food with alternatives.
- > Replace fries with baked sweet potato fries
- > Replace fried chicken with grilled chicken
- > Trade milk for almond milk
- > Trade your soda for flavored soda waters
If you don’t have power over the food in your house eating healthy can be very difficult because you don’t have the control to throw out the unhealthy food and buy better alternatives. If this is you, talk to the person who is in charge of purchasing the family meals and explain your goals. Try to get them to understand your concerns and see if they will work on the grocery list with you. This way you can have some input on the food that is purchased. Find out what foods on the shopping list you can exchange for healthier options.
Whether you have control over the groceries in your house or not, one of the best things you can do is to be sure you are not overeating. Determine how many calories you should be eating to lose weight and try your best to use the food available to you to hit this calorie goal.
How Many Calories You Need to Consume to Lose Weight
- > Your WEIGHT ( 300 pounds ) multiply by 14. = ( 4,200 calories ) That will get you your TOTAL MAINTENANCE CALORIES.
- > Your MAINTENANCE CALORIE multiply by .25
- > 4,200 calories x .25 = 1,050
- > Your MAINTENANCE CALORIE 4,200 subtract 1,050 = 3,150 calories.
- > 3,150 would be your calorie goal
- > Depending on your workout intensity and job, you can lower the deficit % the harder you work, the more your body needs!
Now just plug in your weight and try it yourself!
Avoid Temptation at Home
Living with other people can make avoiding temptation difficult because we can’t simply go home and throw out all the food in the cupboard because it isn’t just ours. If you are trying to lose weight and you have food all around you that you want to eat, but know you shouldn’t, this can make avoiding temptation very difficult.
You may not be able to avoid this tempting food completely, but there are some things you can do to make it easier on yourself.
- > Talk to the people you share a home with about where to store these tempting items. If everyone can agree, store these foods in a place that is relatively hidden or create a space for your food, so you don’t have to encounter the unhealthy foods. Creating a designated area for either the unhealthy food or your healthy food can make it easier to avoid temptation because you won’t see the unhealthy food. Out of sight, out of mind.
- > Be sure you are drinking plenty of water, eat balanced meals, and not skipping meals. This can help cut down on craving food that you shouldn’t be eating. If you are satisfied, you are less likely to feel the need to eat.
- > Plan and meal prep your food, so you are not tempted to grab a processed snack. When you know you have food that is easy to grab, heat, and eat, it can be easier to talk yourself out of why you want the unhealthy food.
- > Use post-it notes to remind yourself not to eat the unhealthy food in your house. These can be easily stuck to the areas of the kitchen or pantry that holds the food you don’t want to eat. Just make a quick note to remind yourself why you shouldn’t eat it or a note to motivate you to stick to your new diet and place the note by the foods you shouldn’t eat.
Don’t Forget to Exercise
Regardless of the healthy state of your household, exercise is the one thing that you can do on your own without it costing you anything. It is also very important if you want to lose weight.
Exercising does not mean that you have to go to the gym. This can be expensive and inconvenient. If you don’t currently exercise and you are overweight, the idea is to move more.
For me, this meant walking. At 605 pounds there weren’t many exercises that I could do, but I could walk. So that is what I did every day. I walked to and from the grocery store. If you have a lot of weight to lose this is a great place to start. Walk around your neighborhood or apartment complex once or twice a day.
You can also do some exercises in your home, such as:
- > Jumping jacks
- > Jump rope
- > Squats
- > Lunges
- > Push-ups
- > Running in place
Don’t Let Your Unhealthy Family Keep You From Your Goals
It can often be overlooked how big of an impact a person’s home life can have on their weight loss and health goals. It can make temptation harder to avoid and getting healthier foods more difficult. No matter the situation you find yourself in, there are steps that you can take to improve your health and lose weight.
To get started download my FREE Approved Foods List by entering your email above and get a copy of my How to Lose Weight 101 Guide where I walk you through the steps I took to lose over 300 pounds.
If you have any tips on how to eat better and lose more weight in a family that doesn’t share your goals, please leave a comment below. I would love to know your tips so that we can share them and help others reach their weight loss goals.
7 Ways to Shop Healthy on a Budget Next Post »
Lose Weight with this Chicken Stir-Fry
About Possible Pat
Hi, I'm Pasquale Brocco and I've lost A LOT of weight. When I started my journey to lose weight, I weighed 605 pounds. After visiting the doctor, I realized I had to make a change. I started with a simple plan and within 60 days, I lost 100 lbs. So far, I've lost over 307 pounds. Now, I'm sharing a simple message with you, "Anything is possible." If you can put on the weight, you can lose the weight.